disclaimers & notices
- For Attending Authors and Vendors on Collecting Sales Tax
Every state requires anyone selling at events to collect sales tax and each event you attend should share this information with you as each city, county, state have different rules. All vendors and authors must be in compliance with state and federal tax laws. It is your responsibility as a vendor and author selling your own books/items to readers to understand sales tax before you participate in an event. This is NOT a READERS TAKE DENVER requirement. This is a requirement in all states. We just might be the first ones to tell you about it. We hope that is not the case, because this should be relayed by every single event.
For Colorado, the total collective tax is 8.50% which breaks down as 4.75% to the state and 3.75% to the City of Aurora where the convention is taking place.
The State of Colorado special events license application, DR 0589 will need to be obtained here. The fee is $8. This can be obtained early or up to the day the tax forms/payments are made. The City of Aurora Sales Tax License reporting can be found here.
This is solely your responsibility and we will not check you at the event. We simply need you to sign that you understand the laws and that you are 100% solely responsible for the taxes related to any items you sell at our event. Again, this is a requirement at all events, and any event that fails to tell you about this information leaves themselves and you open to tax liability and penalties.
- As of July 9, 2023, Readers Take Denver is sold out of tickets and our author waitlist is closed. We do invite readers, to please fill out a waitlist for tickets HERE, and authors to fill out our 2025 interest form and 2026 interest form.
- Selling tickets: If you are no longer able to attend Readers Take Denver and you would like to sell your ticket to someone, you can do so. BUT you must connect the buyer of your ticket with an RTD team member so we can put the ticket in their name. You must also not sell the ticket for more than face value ($375 USD).
- Convention tickets won in a giveaway, cannot replace a purchased ticket. It will not constitute a reason for a refund.
- Attending Authors cannot have a SAG-AFTRA open claim.